(Unit 9 2.2)- As far as production went for this week, and since it was the week to be well on our way to finishing our children’s books or resources, I was essentially just ensuring that all aspects of my book were in place. This included: ensuring that my choice of typography was suitable for my age bracket; all illustrations and photo backgrounds were varied in proportion from feedback and lectures. I also made certain that all aspects of my book showed evidence of skills learned over the term, feedback and research into designers, layout and (most importantly) target audience.
However, one element of my book underwent some changes during this last week but for the benefit of my book. I had initially intended to do a spot-the-danger activity at the end to engage the child’s knowledge on my topic but my tutor showed me a more intriguing piece in my eyes which was a factual page on how to stay safe at the beach and on the sea. We both agreed together that this kind of feature would be more appropriate than my activity idea since I had the ‘did you know…’ running though and my topic of sea safety was more ‘you HAVE to do this to be safe’ rather than ‘what do you think?’ I had an example posted on one of my last blog post’s feedback to show how it could be made child-friendly for my project. The example showed bright colours, bold and clear illustrations with very straight-forward information- all of which I applied to my own information page. However, I only decided to do the three dealt with in the story plus one more to avoid overwhelming the child with too many facts.
Here is what I created with reference to my given example:
(Unit 10 2.2)-Although this did add extra pressure on my to have my storybook completed by my deadline, I ha my example and all the skills I learned across the term such as the image trace and layer mask techniques on InDesign and Photoshop to help me with completing this final page. I also decided to use features from within my book such as the characters’ hands and the style of the life-jacket so that the child still engages with it as much as the story and recognises the page as part of the book’s style itself.
(Unit 10 3.1)- Prior to completely finishing my storybook, I made a firm start on my final evaluation for this project which will cover: my final solutions against the identified target audience of young children and what my target audience actually think of my book, what they like about it and maybe what I could have done to ensure it meets their needs even more (typography, illustrations or the topics dealt with). I have sent a copy of my storybook to, like my primary research, those who I know have and/or know a child of my targeted age group to transcribe what the child has to say about my storybook.
(Unit 10 3.2)- I have made a start on evaluating and reflecting on my learning to inform personal development which involves: documenting my strengths and weaknesses of all kinds during my journey, new skills learned which I can transfer to my final major project. I will also analyse how I’ve resolved various problems that have occurred during this project.