A summary of my production work to-date including reference to earlier production schedule:
Over the past week I have managed to complete my storyboard fully as well as complete all the character concept art for my storybook. Completing both of these essential tasks means that I have met one of my SMART targets even if it was slightly extended.
As well as this, I have devised a production schedule for the remaining 4 weeks which state what needs completing over that week. I found this worked out perfectly regarding the even number of spreads to be completed per week as leaving time for the blog posts and my front cover to be completed as well.
How have I refined my design concepts by implementing some suggestions from today’s peer feedback session during class? (Unit 10 2.1)
This week we gave each other some more per and tutor feedback based on where we currently were with our development. With mine I said how I had completed my character artwork and my storyboard and had made my own production schedule to manage the rest of the 4 weeks until the deadline. In response to this, I did receive compliments on my own illustrated artwork and my tutor told the entire class the importance of a production schedule and time-management, especially for university and higher study. Later on in the session she did give me some feedback as to how I could possibly lay out my spreads to make them stand out more. This included contrast with the text sizes and character positions.This also lead to me being advised to do some more research in to how other children’s books layout these features and hopefully gain more ideas on how I can lay out mine a bit more to stand out. It was also strongly recommended to me that I do the actual spreads in Adobe InDesign and transfer all my work and drawings from Photoshop into InDesign since I can easily form the double-page spreads as my pages and in the measurements I desire with much greater ease.
More design work I started was the template for the first page of my storybook. This was where I used the Illustrator image trace tools and Photoshop swatch library and magic wand tool to fill in my Sandy the Seagull character and apply to my background. This is the process where I finally added life to my characters and learned some new Photoshop tools such as grouping the filled-in layers together and applied gradients and patterns to them.
By next week and according to my production schedule I will have the first 2 spreads completed by next Wednesday using all the tools I’ve learned over the last 6 weeks and including the research I did on layout and contrast of text as mentioned before.