How have I analysed the characteristics of my target audience- primary scholl aged children? (Unit 10 1.1):
This week we were taught about a number of elements that we need to consider for our children’s book. (Unit 10 1.1)- Even though we started our research into the target audience and characteristics of them last week it was important for us to thoroughly explore that as a class.
After we were introduced to the project requirements and criteria we got into small groups and were told to produce as many ideas as to what medium our children’s resources could use and what topic ideas we had as an option. (Unit 10 1.1)- Having the research available from last week meant that we made a solid start with putting the ideas on paper and sharing them with the class. I found this part really interesting because ideas for mediums were suggested (comics and jigsaws/puzzles) and I never thought a children’s story/educational resource could be used for them. This gave me a lot to think about regarding how to portray my chosen topic and even how to add variety to it even if I do chose a children’s story book as my medium. For example, adding photography or touch-and-feel elements to it.
What research material have I gathered to show an understanding of the existing learning resources available on the market for primary aged children? (Unit 10 1.1):
(Unit 10 1.1)- After that exercise, we explored some more ideas and inspiration for our project and developed our further understanding of what existing products are out there today which are aimed at children aged 5-11 years. This was where we went online to gather 20-25 images that inspired us on children’s books whether it was the illustrations, characters, how the dialogue was displayed, colours, topic or content. After collecting these images we used them to create a mood board with Adobe InDesign in order to make this part of research more on the creative side. Even though we learned a new way of organising our images, I didn’t feel too overwhelmed with this since I was familiar with using the software from last year. What we did was create equal grids on the page and applied our imaged into each square so that they looked organised yet creative. Some of my images were landscape and didn’t fit in so I readjusted the squares to fit them which made them more organised but created a layered affect which I found unique yet professional.
Here is my mood board:
Another major task this week which I have managed to complete is my research from last week which included analysis of children aged 5-11 years stating their attention spans, what characteristics of a book they enjoy in relation to this and examples of books aimed at that specific age. All of this has given me a whole different perspective of children’s books than I ever had before and has taught me that their age, interests and attention details all influence every aesthetic and content choice made for the book.
As part of my research I emailed some members of my family with a 5-year-old boy to gather some research on what a typical child that age liked to read, watch or play with along what aspects of those mediums keep him engaged and attract his attention. I had a reply from his parent giving answers to the open questions I conducted: