Project 2: Week 6 project summary

This week, in terms of our actual production, we had managed to achieve a number of goals. Firstly, I managed to complete nearly all the voice-overs I required for both my video piece and radio piece.

This immediately raised many problems before we even set foot to do it: for instance, we had to find a quiet room to do it in since this would resolve any background noises and interruption from outside. This was when Carris and I immediately considered the room in the college library- the same room we did our phone interview with the Red squirrel Survival Trust in. However, when we went to see if the room was available we were told that we only had around 20 minutes before it was to be used by someone else. Even though this was inconvenience to the next level, we both decided to take it rather than leave it. Even though we recorded the voice-overs in that time, the restricted time had a negative effect on the results; I realized that they were either too short than the planned duration on my shooting script and/or didn’t sound professional enough (especially for the radio pieces.) I realized this when I continued with the editing of my video piece- which made me come up with a solution which would be to finalize the video piece with only the voice-overs that did fit in and re-record the ones that didn’t by watching the video as I am recording. If I was to do this, it would be more likely to allow me to have better judgement as to how long each voice-over should be. Knowing this will also allow me to use the best tone of voice and speed for the voice-over.

However, one of the major tasks we both accomplished this week was conducting the interview with the Wildwood trust on Friday. Even though Carris and I both ran into many major obstacles along the way-especially before the interview- the interview itself went extremely well and even better than planned in some cases. For instance, We gathered all the information we needed and had all our questions answered; The location in which we filmed our interviewee was perfect (right in front of the red squirrel enclosure) and we also gathered some shots of the red squirrels themselves to use in the 2 minute video. I feel that many of the interviewee shots we used were very professional in areas such as the gaze, the head not touching the top of the screen, remembering the rule-of-thirds shot and not going below the chest too much. However, I feel that we could have made more care as to achieving the perfect rule-of-thirds shot by: adjusting the camera position and angle after each shot to make each one as identical as possible.

We did manage to capture some different shots of the squirrels as well which was rather exciting for me since we could experiment with different angles and close-ups to make each one more unique and able to be used in different places in the video. adding on to this, it was the first time that I had ever seen red squirrels myself so it kind of made me feel more connected to them and engaged with them. This also applied to the interview because even though I already knew a bit prior to it, it was fascinating to engage with the information I never knew about them before.

As for before the interview though, almost none of it went to plan; First of all, Carris had previously agreed to book out the equipment and meet me at Wildwood for 10 o’clock. However, she messaged me whilst I was on my way saying that she was stuck in traffic and asked me if I would be able to book out the equipment. This severely cut time short for me because I had planned my bus journey so that I could catch my next bus shortly after that one. However, I agreed to do this because Carris was completely unable to (against her wishes) and it would be possible but I would have to collect it as fast a I could. As I got to college to book it out though, this was impossible at that moment in time due to a staff meeting being held. This was turning into more of a  hassle than much else because it left us with only two options: to stick with arriving at 10 o’clock but use only Carris’ phone or my iPad for filming or to postpone the interview until 11 o’clock. I messaged Carris with these options and she decided to email Wildwood asking if it was possible to do the interview at 11 o’clock due to our situations.

But shortly after 10 o’clock the equipment booking room opened and  managed to book out everything we needed and i messaged Carris letting her know of this. This was when she replied saying that she had cleared the traffic but also wanted to give me a lift to wildwood with her since I had the heavy camera and tripod with me. Since I gratefully took her up on this offer we did manage to get to Wildwood, before 11 o’clock and altogether!

Also, getting home after the interview did go as planned which meant that Carris made her own way home whereas I got the bus back to Canterbury and went back to college to upload the shots on to my memory stick and return the camera and tripod we used.

This task of completing one interview turned out to be way more of a challenge than we anticipated, especially prior to the interview itself. as extremely stressful as it way, it did teach me some important lessons. For example, this interview took Carris and myself’s problem solving skills to the next level due to the number of problems we had to solve- and all at the same time as well. This also taught me some possible truths about the industry as well, in terms of how journalists of today are constantly using problem solving skills and how plan B are sometimes used just as much and, if not, more than plan A. An example includes if there are hold-ups with a team member or if a piece of equipment is broken, lost, not functioning to the required standard, then such plans like simply progressing ahead or using a smartphone or iPad to record with may be necessary to use- sometimes as a last resort too.

Reflecting on this whole interview experience however, I’d happily say that this is one to be proud of due to the fact that we had to rapidly come up with solutions to severe problems that could jeopardize the whole interview. Alongside this, we did manage to carry out a successful interview resulting in the information we required and even shots of the red squirrels to use in the final video piece. this is a massive achievement for both of us considering the constant battles we had along the way with major disruptions and problems.

As for my to-do list for next week, my first priority will be to apply the appropriate interview answers and shots to my video along with the captured close-ups of the red squirrels. Alongside this I will also re-record the voice-overs that weren’t long enough, professional enough and even more voice-overs in order to fill in any unexpected gaps. However, with these tasks to finalize including tasks to finish off next week, it may be worth me recording the voice-overs at home on my phone- when I’m at home alone where it will all be silent enough to produce good enough quality and also coming into college when I have no classes to use the LRC and finish off the radio piece and the video piece because I will soon have to get started on the 500 word article which will play a part of this whole project.

Project 2: Week 6 project summary

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s