Today, we put our knowledge of video editing/recording and shot types to the test because we went out and recorded different types of shots around he college which we edited using Adobe Premier Pro software. This also included writing a summary of our filming process outlining all the challenges we faced, evaluating the equipment we used and how we could improve.
Firstly, we created a shot schedule prior to going out and shooting. this was to help us gain the correct types of shots, the correct quantity of them and the duration of each shot we required.
For our one minute long sequence, it will be required to gather at least two of each shot. For the first set of shots we will aim to make them total to around 30 seconds. This means that we know roughly how long the second set of each shot will need to total to reach the one minute limit:
Firstly, 2x establishing wide shot (each will be 5 seconds each- totalling 10 seconds)
Then, 2x tracking shots (each will be 7 seconds long- totalling 14 seconds)
After that, 2x 3 second sequence (each sequence will be 9 and a half seconds each- totalling 18 seconds)
And finally, 2x close up shots (each will be 5 seconds each- totalling 10 seconds)2x mid-close up shots (each 4 seconds each- totalling 8 seconds)
All of these shots so far total a time of 60 seconds.
shots practice (This is the actual video of my shots practice)
Summary of shot filming process
Summary of filming process.
In order to create our one minute long video piece, we were required to create a number of different shots which we will put together and at the end, will result in a well-orders video sequence.
But in order to carry this out successfully, we needed a sort of plan which we used when we went out and filmed out shots. This is when we created a ‘shot schedule’. This was because it would help us to work out the types of shots we needed, the duration of each shot and how many of each shot we needed. We took these notes and schedule with us when we went out. This schedule helped us to be organised, know what we were doing and help us gain the shots we require. Also, what we did was consider what our content our shots were going to feature in relation to their time period. For example, when creating the time-lapse we decided to make the whole shot around 7 seconds long. But in order to do this, we had to film the shot in normal mode for double the time which would come out in the time-lapse so that we came out with the correct timing for the shot. We were also advised that we film all our shots for slightly longer than planned like an extra half a second to a full second. This was because we would be editing our shots to fit into the one minute piece and if we needed to edit any mistakes out or rearrange any shots. This way, it would still add up to the required duration for the overall video piece.
Relating to the professionalism of the shots and considering this was our first attempt, I have very mixed feelings about them: For example, Some of the shots are of a reasonable quality because whilst shooting them, I placed the camera on a table or a hand rail to prevent the shot from shaking too much and therefore, improving the quality of it. Also, my partner had a feature on her phone which allowed us to use a time-lapse in the shot. I liked this feature because it’s the kind of shot combined with an establishing shot which many news stations and TV news studios use. This one shot would have a massive impact on our overall piece and make it look more professional too. However, I feel that some of the shots could have been of a much better quality. Examples include a minority of the close-up shots and mid-close ups. This was mainly because we didn’t have access to any of the more professional camera or tripods which would help us gain more stable shots. Also, whilst creating the final piece on the software, I accidentally deleted some of the video files before I had the chance to use them, so i had to use some other ones I took on my phone which definitely weren’t the best of quality but helped to reach the overall duration lightly more.
Next time I do this, there are many things which I would improve on. For example, I would use the more professional filming equipment and definitely the tripods which would help us to balance the camera much more and make the shot look much more professional. Another thing to mention is that for this task, we weren’t actually pursuing a narrative; we were simply gaining an understanding of the types of shots used and how to practice filming them. During next time, I will ensure that the next set of shots tell a story/narrative.